The Administrative Organization of the Ministry of Education Act 2003 stipulates OEC’s functions as follows:
1. Formulating the National Scheme of Education which integrates relevant aspects of religion, art, culture and sport into all levels of education, and proposing policies and plans for mobilization of resources for education;
2. Coordinating the formulation of proposals for policies, plans and standards of national education;
3. Conducting research, coordinating and providing support for research and development of education; strengthening networks of learning and local wisdom; and collecting data and strengthening computerized information networks for formulation of educational policies and plans;
4. Evaluating educational provision in accord with the requirements of the National Scheme of Education; and
5. Providing views or advice on matters relating to educational laws.